Knife in the eye

Michaƫl Borremans



"You don't have to make a big paintings in order to give it contents, power. It can be made very small... I try to make a lot of small works that need a lot of space. That brings forward a lot, like a bomb. Lots of little bombs on the wall. Small knives in the eyes."



"Time is a very important factor in the making of my works, same with my drawings... I prefer by far to formulate the exact answer and when I don't know it, I prefer to wait. And with painting, or with the materials I use to make paintings, this happens as well. The making of the painting goes faster. That takes one or two sessions. I would not be able to work in a studio that is separated from my living space because I want the work to be available at all times. That I can always look at it, at all times, day and night, that I can think about it, that I interact with it. It is a way of living."

images: David Zwirner